Friday, October 3, 2008

Interviiiiiiew and feeling better!

Okay, I'm definitely feeling better now. I just got royalties for 12 sales on my shirt over at collarfree! Maybe I should upload more...

They're really comfy and they benefit a good cause (not just me, they donate 1% to 'for the planet') - clickie!


Last month, Notblueatall sent me an interview response, and here it is!

1.Which part of your work do you most enjoy? Which part do you find hardest?
I enjoy creating! The fact that what I’m creating/selling on Etsy is aprons amazes me. I am a beginner to say the least. I’ve never used a pattern (can’t quite figure them out). So sewing is the hardest! Ha-ha!

2.Where do you get your inspiration?
The fun fabrics I find usually spark something. I think there is more to owning/buying an apron than just that. The apron thing actually started when a friend and I each bought cupcake recipe/decorating books together and vowed to make some and share and then swap books. That never happened, but I did buy my dream Kitchen Aid mixer (pale pink!). This prompted me to buy an apron on Etsy. It was important to me that it be handmade. And it was that apron that started it all! (unfortunately that seller is no longer on Etsy).


3.What is your favorite item that you have purchased on Etsy?
This is tough! I have quite the etsy addiction! I have bought a lot on etsy, but one of my recent and impressive purchases is a custom print t-shirt from Minimalista.
It’s of Frida Kahlo with flowers on her head. I’m a huge fan of Frida Kahlo and that print just spoke to me. It was only “custom” because I sent her the shirt to print on. Many etsy sellers don’t understand what plus size means or really is. It’s NOT XL! It’s sizing from 16+. I’m on the “+” side of that. What has amazed me is the lack of interest in sellers to cater to this untapped plus size market. I have asked several sellers if they could print a shirt in my size. The usual response is that they wouldn’t know where to find my size, simply don’t have my size or refuse to print on a shirt I send them. I love the unique prints many sellers on etsy have, but for someone who is more of a 3X or 4X (sizing varies greatly by brand) I’m often left wanting. I also love this scarf I just bought last month from BinaryWinter! Their prints are fantastic!
http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=10106053
Oh! But the best thing I’ve bought recently and ended up buying more is the blackberry liptint from Rachl323. It is soooo silky-soft and smells wonderful! And at her prices anyone can afford to have fabulous lips!

4.If I could sell one item from my shop today, it would be...
An apron! I’m not picky, either. Ha-ha! I made the pouches and scrunchies as an afterthought. Aprons are what I’m really selling in my shop. For some reason I thought they’d really take off, but it’s not like there’s a time limit!


5.If I had enough money to pick one item on my wish list from any shop on Etsy to buy, it would be...
Probably a hood/scarf from ilikeyouworld. Their stuff is amazing, but it’s also wool and I’m deathly allergic…so boo to that! Glorydaze has some incredible clutches! I’m in a whole clutch-thing right now.
Oh! And BlushingLady’s “Anastasia Clutch” is to die for!!!


6.What undiscovered artisans would you recommend the world to know?

WoodTurner! No doubt about it. He has to be the nicest most kindest caring seller I’ve encountered on etsy. Just the nicest fella. I’ve bought a necklace and earrings from him and his wine stoppers would make the best gifts for work-friends, you know?! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve encountered tons of nice sellers on etsy, but he made me feel special in a way that only the truly caring can. It’s weird, but true.

7.What is the best advice you have ever received?
Ha-ha! It was from TheBumbleBeeStudio a few months back when I favorite their shop and they dropped me a line almost immediately to thank me for the fave and they had read my profile. You see, at the time my profile said something like I was too shy to show my “work.” I meant my artwork. When I wrote that profile I never would have dreamed of sewing aprons. But she messaged me and encouraged me to “get out there and do it!” And well, I did!

8.What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?
Pay attention to the tags you enter for your items! A big pet peeve of mine is when I’m looking for something specific and all kinds of craziness comes up on my screen. It’s frustrating. Imagine what the average etsy shopper thinks? Yeah, exactly! Especially in the plus size section! Please don’t say that something is plus size but when I click it, it only comes in s-m-l! A Travesty! Ha-ha!

9.How do you promote your work?
I have bought ad space for the radio show from MooseBerryHill. Reasonably priced, but alas no sales. I also promote to friends, but mostly on livejournal.com. There’s a lot of etsy communities on lj. It’s nice because I get to see other shops, too! I think it’s important to stay excited about it. I was super stoked when I opened my shop, I still am!

10.Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I create tons of things that I haven’t or wouldn’t put in my shop. I love to collage and do other mixed media artworks. But not creating? Hanging with friends or the husband. Karaoke’s pretty fun! Movies are big for us, too. Oh man…we just saw the movie “FLOW” last night in San Jose. Wow! My mind was blown! I hope it gets wider release because it is such an important topic: Water! I wish I could just make people see it…especially anyone elected to office in our government. But, um, yeah! I like all art. I love museums. I will be going to SFMOMA next week for the last day of the Frida Kahlo exhibit!

11.How long have you been selling on Etsy? Do you sell through any other venues? What has been the most successful for you?
I’ve been buying from Etsy since June of 2006, but just opened my shop about a month and a half ago. I know, I’m still such a newbie! I haven’t sold my aprons anywhere else, but I’ve thought about it. I would say that emailing my friends with the announcement of my grand opening was the most successful thing I’ve done. I’ve never been one to tap my friends for things like that. I always thought you should make your own way. But I’ve learned that you can’t get anywhere in this world without the love and support of friends. I was so nervous to even tell them, but excited too. I am so glad that I did!

12.What led you to start selling on Etsy?
Ha-ha! I had wanted to for ages, but didn’t know specifically what to sell. The apron thing happened when I made a couple for some friends’ 30th birthdays last year and they encouraged me to sell them. Yeah, I take awhile to mull things over! That and I was laid off, so I have the time to do it!

13.How would you describe your shop?
Kitchsy-cool? Shabby-chic? I don’t know! I had originally wanted to call my shop, “Bitch in the Kitch: For Bitches who like to be in the Kitchen!” But I didn’t realize it just uses your user name. I like it now though, too, “Notblueatall’s Shop: Don’t be Blue, Buy an Apron or Two!” Still cute, right?

14.Are you doing anything special for the Holiday season/Halloween in your shop?
Specifially? No. But I’d be stoked to do an apron for someone’s Halloween costume or X-mas event. I always offer custom work. If someone has something specific in mind I would be up to the task!

15.What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?
Be patient and don’t get discouraged. Even the Hewlett-Packard dudes started in their garage and didn’t “make it” overnight! But certainly be loud and proud about your shop!

16.Are you working on anything new right now or is there a craft you would like to learn?
I would like to do some reconstruction work for the plus size set soon, but again I’m a beginner so I have to take things a bit slowly. I have seen some very creative stuff on etsy. The whole handmade clothing thing boggles my mind! But at the same time I can’t wait to try it! My biggest struggle is space! I live in a tiny (600 square feet) apartment with my husband and tabby cat. There’s very little room to sew or do any major projects. So my “sewing table” is also our kitchen table and our computer station and whatnot. Ha! It’s always an adventure. I’m a big improviser, too. I can usually figure a way to do something throwing tradition/caution to the wind. And I’m okay with that reputation!


Thanks!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! I would also like to thank your readers by offering free shipping to anyone who mentions this blog in checkout when they buy something from my shop! =0)